Gina K August Release – 3 Ways to Paint the Same Stamp + a 7 Minute Method to Color a Detailed Design

hanshrepAugust 17, 2020

Good morning! How are y’all doing on this beautiful Monday morning? It’s your girl, Hannah, here with another tutorial on how to paint a detailed design with watercolor. I will be sharing three different cards, each watercolored with a different technique.

These cards are featuring a new stamp set that I designed for Gina K Designs called “Grow Positive Thoughts”. This one is so dear to my heart as I drew it at a time in my life where I was starting to let go of my negative thoughts and allowing beautiful “flowers” to grow in their place 🌿 I am learning every day, and these greetings and this image is a perfect reminder to me that mindset is everything 🤍 I used greetings I have never seen in another stamp set to bring some uniqueness and encouragement to you all and those you love and send cards to.

This is probably my favorite stamp set I have designed so far. The inspiration behind it is so intimate and personal. For many, including me, negative thinking can be a habit which has the potential to becoming an addiction over time. 2020 has been a rough year for everyone, but it has taught me much about myself. It has taught me that positivity is a choice and my mind has the capability of being a beautiful place. Your mind is like a garden. You can either grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.

Regardless of how anyone thinks of you or what anyone says to you, choose to be happy and love yourself unconditionally. That was something that has taken me years to learn, and I still struggle with that every single day. I battled with an eating disorder for years, as well as being bullied as a teenager and other situations that effected me. But my perspective has changed much since then. I’m not allowing what people say or think of me to change the way that I think of myself, and neither should you. Love yourself the way God created you, and don’t let the negativity of your thoughts control the way you view yourself.

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts. Just start to think and focus on all the blessings in life. Count them, hold onto them, and let go of the things growing weeds inside your mind. The more you count your blessings, the more you will have to count 🤍

I’m going to get off my soap box now and start the tutorial for you guys 😁

1. No Line Watercolor

The first technique I used is no-line watercolor, a method I use most commonly in my painting style for greeting cards. The whole point of no-line watercoloring is to make the line vanish, so I recommend using a very light ink like Warm Glow Amalgam Ink to stamp your image with.

I start with the darkest amount of paint at the base of the line, then clean my brush fully with water, and pull out the color away from the line with the clean, wet brush. The color will automatically lighten from darker to lighter, giving a beautiful, realistic effect to your painting.

The brushes I always use are Princeton Neptune Brushes, and Princeton Heritage 4050 Synthetic Sable Brushes. They are extremely affordable and last for years. I’m still using mine from when I first started watercoloring!

I lined the edge with Gold Perfect Pearls to add a little something extra. Gotta be a little bit extra sometimes 💁🏻‍♀️

2. Watercoloring with Embossing

The second technique I used is watercoloring an image that has been heat embossed. I used Gina’s Detail Gold Embossing Powder because just look. at. that. shine… 🤤

This technique is relatively simple. I compare it to going bowling and using the bumpers. The lines of the embossing powder make watercolor painting much, MUCH simpler, so I suggest using this technique if you are first starting out.

I splattered some more Gold Perfect Pearls because again, why not be a little extra?

3. Seven Minute Painting Technique using Heat Embossing

Are you intimidated by watercolor and want an easier method to paint detailed images? I have the PERFECT technique for you that requires absolutely no watercoloring skills – just a little paint, water, and any brush!

This literally took me a little over 7 minutes to make!

Here is a step by step guide on how to achieve this extremely easy watercolor technique:

1. Pick a stamp set! I of course chose my newest set that I designed for Gina K. Designs, “Grow Positive Thoughts”.

2. Choose a watercolor paper that isn’t as textured. I used Canson Watercolor Paper from Blick Art Materials. The embossing looks much more even and flawless on a smoother paper type.

3. Emboss! I used Gina K’s Gold Embossing Powder again because it is SO amazing and drool worthy. I just can’t get over that shine!!!!

4. Use the wet on wet technique (*for detailed instruction on how to achieve different watercolor techniques like wet on wet, see my previous blog post*) and brush an even layer of water on the flower part of the image (make sure there are no areas where there is excessive pooling, and don’t use too much water).

5. Drop in different colors! The paint will automatically blend together because of the water being already down on the paper. I used pink and purples near the flowers, and green where there are leaves.

6. Once that’s dry, use the wet on wet technique to brush water on the face, then drop in the skin tone of your choice.

7. I then went in once the whole piece was dry and added in some darker colors and more detailing to make the painting pop.

8. I had to be a little extra and splatter in some freckles on her face because why not?? Freckles are skin stars and I love mine 🤍

9. Boom!! You’re done. It’s SO simple! It took me literally a few minutes to achieve this effortless watercolored look!

If you try this technique or use my new stamp set, tag me on social media! My Instagram is @hanlynart. Seeing your art with my illustration just makes my day 🥰

You can also easily add blush or makeup, or anything you want to her face. I drew it so it would be very easy for you to color and customize her to be unique to your beautiful face or the person you are giving the card to.

I have one more random card I painted that I want to share ❤️

I free handed a bunch of red and pink hearts, then added a little clear Perfect Pearls to it so there would be a little sparkle. I’m honestly a little bitter with my iPhone for not capturing the sparkle in any of the pictures I got…

Lastly, I wanted to share an inside greeting I created with a bunch of the sayings and sentiments in this set. I love the uniqueness of the greetings in here and the positive messages behind them.

And that’s all she wrote, folks. Thank you so much for reading and for purchasing my new stamp set. I really hope it helps you think more positively about life and about yourself. Be positive, and grow beautiful thoughts today 🤍

And here we have a random picture of my little baby girl, Millie, because she’s 2 months old today and she’s just as cute as can be 😘

I am currently writing this blog post at 4:00 in the morning because when you have a baby you will never sleep normal again!!!!!… or at least it feels like that anyway 🤣 I often dream about the fond memories of sleeping for 8 hours straight… but she’s so worth it 🥰

I hope y’all have an amazing day!! Sending lots of love 🤍 Comment below to be in the running for a Giveaway hosted by Gina K, and follow my blog for more!

Up next is the talented Arjita 🤍

Comments (103)

• Joni Arcocha

August 17, 2020 at 11:57 pm

Love your encouraging thoughts and your beautiful new stamp set!! Wow! i love the water-coloring techniques and now want to try them out! And your lil Millie is just darling!!!

• spilor

August 18, 2020 at 12:33 am

Your talent is incredible, Hannah! Wow! Love the watercolored look. Maybe I will try that! TFS and I also like your narration between images.

• Gayle Chrvala

August 18, 2020 at 12:35 am

Lovely…sweet little Millie, too.

• Jeannie Kampa

August 18, 2020 at 12:37 am

You are an inspiration Hannah! Your work is amazing too. Little Millie is just the cutest! ❤️

• D J Thomas

August 18, 2020 at 12:37 am

Love the positive thoughts and such a beautiful stamp.

• Nancy Campbell

August 18, 2020 at 12:38 am

Beautiful work

• lori beck

August 18, 2020 at 12:39 am

Your coloring is beautiful!

• Lisa Wabeke

August 18, 2020 at 12:48 am

Your water coloring is absolutely beautiful.
    Your baby is too.

• Mindy Stetzer

August 18, 2020 at 12:49 am

Beautiful cards!

• Sandy Fulmer

August 18, 2020 at 1:11 am

You are so talented!

• Lynn

August 18, 2020 at 1:14 am

Stamp reminds me of a mural I once saw.

• Joan Nelson

August 18, 2020 at 1:23 am

Beautiful detail and color.

• Donna

August 18, 2020 at 1:59 am

The positive thoughts are so needed these days. Thanks for the water coloring tutorial

• lisascreativeniche

August 18, 2020 at 2:16 am

This is beautiful! I love this image and the sayings in this set, this is such a powerful set.

• Michelle

August 18, 2020 at 2:17 am

So many beautiful ideas.

• Janice Ashby

August 18, 2020 at 2:25 am

Your cards are so beautiful and you’re so talented! Enjoy your baby girl because they grow up sooo fast.

• sandychristman

August 18, 2020 at 2:35 am

Thank you for. The lesson on watercolor & I loved the sentiment on the inside of the card.

• Dawn Tooley

August 18, 2020 at 2:37 am

Thanks for sharing your story – I shared it with my teenage daughter. Thanks also for sharing the 2 water coloring techniques. I’m a beginner at water coloring so thanks for the hints!

• Margie Fulcher

August 18, 2020 at 2:46 am

Love your cards and especially the colors you picked.

• Pauline Abeysekera

August 18, 2020 at 3:01 am

Hi Hannah. Your baby girl is so precious – thank you for sharing her picture! And thank you for designing this set with its beautiful affirmations – we can never hear those too often. It takes a long time to get the internalized messages of bullies and other negative influences out of our self talk, but we should all treat ourselves with the kindness we show those we love. I haven’t seen your blog before – what a gift.

• Marisela Delgado

August 18, 2020 at 3:08 am

Beautiful painting!

• Angela G Cromwell

August 18, 2020 at 3:34 am

I am so inspired by not only your gorgeous new stamp set but also by your story. Through this set I can see your beautiful transformation in my mind. This one stamp is what captured my attention the most during Thursday’s release and I knew that I had to have it! Congratulations on breaking out of the old and becoming who God wants you to be. And congratulations on that gorgeous baby girl! Each new short chapter in your lives together will be completely different than the last so embraces each part as she (and you) grow!
    Thank you for the unique sentiments that are much needed and appreciated!

• Patt H.

August 18, 2020 at 3:50 am

What awesome cards & equally awesome positive thoughts! Thanks so much for the coloring tips also. Your best creation, however, is darling adorable Millie!!

• Surekha Galagoda

August 18, 2020 at 5:53 am

Dearest Hannah
    Blessings to your little baby Millie . May she have a life full of Good health and Happiness.
    Your paintings are out of this world. I am going to bookmark your blog and return,
    Dear Lady I saw you explaining the set at the release party. and I thought wow it is for me.I have been suffering from deprfession and is still on meds. I have got over due to prayers and you lovely ladies who have shown the bright and beautiful side of life. I am from Sri Lanka the pearl of the Indian ocean and post is still not working and anyway I have to oder from SSS or some other retailer as Gina K. Designs dont ship to Sri Lanka. Blessings to you and your family

• Michelle Noto

August 18, 2020 at 9:04 am

Beautiful work!! Such talent!! Thank you for sharing!!

• Kelly Hannan

August 18, 2020 at 9:31 am

Your colouring is just beautiful, I will just have to keep trying. And congrats on the little one. Take care and be safe.

• Michele

August 18, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Your cards are gorgeous! Your detailed how to steps inspire me to try the techniques. Thank you for sharing your talent with everyone.

• susie sonnier

August 18, 2020 at 12:58 pm

The design and your cards are lovely

• Stacey Kowbel

August 18, 2020 at 2:00 pm

Fantastic colouring! I really love the no-line watercolouring! Your baby girl is just gorgeous – such a great photo!

• Teri S.

August 18, 2020 at 2:02 pm

This is my first time visiting your blog & I am ever so glad you are part of this hop. I really like so many of Gina K’s products, but shipping to Canada is very expensive, not to mention our low CDN$ & high exchange rate, so I haven’t treated myself to anything in a long while. Aside from that, I am so very impressed with this stamp set you’ve created Hannah! It’s refreshing to see something out of the ordinary in sentiments too. Yours speak what most people need to hear daily. I turn 65 today. (Already?!) I won’t go into my life story, but I still struggle a lot with self image/confidence & I am so glad to read that you, at your age, are understanding how important it is to clear out “old tapes” that run over & over in a persons mind & replace them with positive thoughts to grow self-esteem. What has really helped me is finally letting go of some people I’ve known for years who were anything but supportive & kind. What makes a person think they have the right to be that way & still call themselves a friend? I used to think this must be all I am worthy of. Also, my relationship with God & some wonderful Christian people I’ve met who are oh, so supportive & kind has made such a difference in me. Back to your cards now. I am such a fan of watercolouring. I’m anything but good at it & may never be, but I love it. Your cards are awesome! Thanks for putting freckles on one, as I have them too. I’m going to bookmark this post so I can come back & visit sometime & I want to read your post on 10 tips for beginner watercolourists. Bless you & your family! Babies are my favourite!

• Lauryne Cunningham

August 18, 2020 at 2:49 pm

I love the meaning and positive message behind your stamp set- the images and sentiments are beautiful!

• Avra

August 18, 2020 at 3:35 pm

Gorgeous!

• stampingrama

August 18, 2020 at 4:49 pm

Oh Hannah…thank you for sharing your story and being so open and honest…sometimes it’s hard to tell others but it’s such a healing when you know that someone can relate or know what you are going or have gone thru…I think we all fall into that negative thinking…having faith, self talk, and support from family/friends helps us get thru…

I am head over heels over this release! Absolutely wonderful project(s)!! Color palette(s) and project design(s) are so very creatively inspiring!! I love your set and is on my wish list for my next order!! It’s so different and there are so many creative possibilities!

Congratulations…Millie is absolutely adorable!! Welcome to our world, Sweetheart!!

• Retta Lutte

August 18, 2020 at 5:56 pm

Just gorgeous cards, Hannah! I have found I don’t have the patients for no-line watercolor, but I occasionally give it a try! Your use of it is simply amazing! However, I do love ALL the cards. The sentiments in this stamp set are wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Jeanne Beam

August 18, 2020 at 7:31 pm

Such gorgeous cards! Love the colors…
    Thanks so much for sharing.

• Penny Adams

August 18, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Thanks for being so detailed with your techniques. So helpful!

• D Skene

August 19, 2020 at 12:23 am

Thanks for showing three different ways to watercolor your beautiful stamp! Your baby is gorgeous!

• Penny Pynnonen

August 19, 2020 at 12:34 am

This is amazing. So creative

• Melinda

August 19, 2020 at 1:11 am

Such a fan of your Incredible art Hannah and this release is no exception! I can’t wait to get my hands on this set.

• Ann Marie S.

August 19, 2020 at 1:22 am

Hi Hannah, I come into the store and have had you help me many times, when I am in Milwaukee visiting my mother. Beautiful stamp set and I enjoyed the three ways to watercolor and your inside sentiment with the combined sentiments from your set.

Your cards are beautiful, but Millie is your greatest creation! What a doll.

Your words of inspiration and your stamp set are both needed, especially now.

• navoff

August 19, 2020 at 1:53 am

Love what you did with the Positive Thoughts stamps.

• tawna21

August 19, 2020 at 2:56 am

What beautiful talent! Thank you for sharing it with your stamp set as well as the coloring of it!!

• laurie2cats

August 19, 2020 at 4:55 am

Beautiful cards, I like to see the effects of different techniques. And your baby is adorable!

• Lisa Andrews

August 19, 2020 at 6:10 am

First off, if I order the Positive Thoughts will Millie come with it? 🙂 She is adorable! I like the idea of water coloring with embossing, I may try that – I haven’t usually had much luck with water coloring. Your cards are beautiful!

• LindseyF-NY

August 19, 2020 at 4:19 pm

First time visitor to your blog. I’m hooked! Your art is exquisite! I’m learning so much.

• Angie Fortner

August 19, 2020 at 5:15 pm

You are a very talented artist. Gorgeous inspiration!

• Janet Trapp

August 19, 2020 at 5:30 pm

So much awesomeness! Thank you for all the great words of wisdom and tutorials! Such great inspiration! Can’t wait to get my order and start playing❣️

• Connie Johnson

August 19, 2020 at 9:13 pm

Hi Hannah 🙂 Your stamp set and cards are a work of art, but definitely second to God’s little work of art at the end of your post!!! I wrote down your quote, “Someone once said that one tree can make 1,000 matches, but one match can burn down 1,000 trees. The moral of that little illustration is that all it takes is one negative thought to burn out all the positive ones.” in my journal. SO many good things in this post! Thanks for the inspiration! Praying for you to be able to catch a nap soon 🙂

• Meghan Kennihan

August 19, 2020 at 9:37 pm

What incredible watercoloring! JUST STUNNING!

• Carol Jones

August 19, 2020 at 11:05 pm

Your paintings are absolutely gorgeous! But even better than that is your precious darling baby girl! Congrats to the new parents! ♥️